We kicked off the Teen Advisory Group meeting on Wednesday, 1/28/16 with food and introductions. The following people were present:
The new Teen Librarian, Hannah, showed off an epic failure of an attempted Valentine’s Decoration, passed out the Teen Volunteer Survey to be completed, and proceeded to introduce the upcoming programs for the month of February. They include the following:
- Anti-Valentine’s Day Chocolate Madness with a Deadpool theme on Friday, February 12, 2016, from 4pm-6pm
- Time Trouble Trivia Challenge with a Doctor Who theme on Saturday, February 20, 2016, from 2pm-4pm with Doctor Who games and snacks and time-travel themed trivia questions.
The Anti-Valentine’s Day program was approved. Recommendations on the chocolate to be eaten were taken. The Trivia program was approved, but with some complaint of it being on a Saturday.
Hannah then introduced the program ideas for the upcoming few months.
Upcoming Programs for Teens:
- March 3: College Prep Workshop (6:30-7:30pm, Meeting Room)
- March 10: Apocalypse Prep (4-5pm, Meeting Room)
- March 12: ACT practice (10am-2pm, Meeting Room)
- March 15: Teen Advisory Group (6:30-7:30pm, Meeting Room)
- March 19: Upcycle Craft (2-4pm, Main Space)
- Month of April: Poetry Contest, 2 sections (Grades 5-8 and Grades 9-12)
- Weekly Wednesday Night Open Class: Write Night (6-8pm, Main Space)
- April 5: High School Musical Movie Night and Trivia (5:30-7:30pm, Meeting Room)
- April 9: PrankShop (2-4pm, Main Space)
- April 14: Pancake Bake (12pm-1pm, Meeting Room)
- April 19: Teen Advisory Group (6:30-7:30pm, Meeting Room)
- April 30: NSAT Practice Test (10am-2pm, Meeting Room)
- May 7: Zentopia (10am-12pm, Meeting Room)
- May 17: Teen Advisory Group (6:30-7:30pm, Meeting Room)
- May 21: NSAT Practice Test (10am-2pm, Meeting Room)
- May 30: Let’s Go Fly a Kite, kite-building activity (12pm-2pm)
- Month of June: Teens Teach Kids Program on Fridays (3-4pm, Main Space)
- June 4: ACT Practice Test (10am-2pm, Meeting Room)
- June 13-15: Study Nights (Meeting Room)
- June 21: Teen Advisory Group (6:30-7:30pm, Meeting Room)
It was decided that the High School Musical Movie Night and Trivia would be limited to grades 7 and up. The Upcycle Craft would have prizes awarded to the most “creative” final product. The Kite-Building activity would be limited to grades 5-9. There was some back and forth about the timing of the PrankShop activity, but since most people who are involved in the Musical would not be able to attend anything prior to April 5th, it stayed the same. The Apocalypse Prep night would include activities from The 5th Wave.
New ideas brought to the table were the possibility of having an Anti-Prom Netflix Night in May, a Poetry Slam in April, and a Summer Reading Kick-off Lock-In with attached Scavenger Hunt, Bad Karaoke Contest, and Bad Movie Night. There was also some interest in the Teens Teach Kids program starting in June and the possibility of having “mini-events” every other week that would involve some drop-in activity. Ideas for this are TBA.
We then discussed the changes to be made to the current Teen Area. Next month, Hannah will bring image designs to be approved and we will work on a presentation to share with the Board of Trustees in May or June.
In general, it was a hilarious night and we ended by making a CubeCraft.
Next meeting will be Tuesday, February 16, 2016 from 6:30pm-7:30pm.
And there will be Stop & Shop popcorn and water bottles!